What’s a Drupal Camp without a Contribution Day and giving back to the Drupal Community?
What is Contribution Day?
As a part of DrupalCampNYC 2020, we’re including a full-day Drupal Contribution Day. It’s a great way for anybody to “contribute” to the Drupal project - no coding experience necessary. The goal is to make Drupal better, together.
It is a great opportunity to meet new people and collaborate with the Drupal Community, and of course, learn from the best. There are many ways to get involved.
You can work on things like:
- Help write instructions or rewrite confusing instructions in plain language
- Code sprints
- Fix bugs or work on features in Drupal core, contrib modules, or related tools
- Design and usability
- Are you helping someone who has never used Drupal before? Or are you new to Drupal yourself? Do you have specialized knowledge in web accessibility and other standards?
- If you have a keen eye for detail or just a knack for breaking things, you can help Drupal with testing.
- Unit tests
- Kernel tests
- Functional tests
- Accessibility testing
- Translate Drupal to your language
- Help get the word out about Drupal! Put your graphic design skills or marketing savvy to work to promote Drupal and spread the word!
What happens on the day?
By joining us you will have the opportunity to gain knowledge from your peers, or you can work on your own, allowing everyone to help the thousands of people who will benefit from your contribution.
We will split into groups and work on Drupal issues. So remember to bring your laptop!
Not a coder or never have contributed? That’s perfectly fine! There will be mentors available for those who need a little help to get started. Interested in being a mentor? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will also have a Contribution Workshop [link to training node] for first-time contributors. Not everyone who collaborates on open source projects is an expert or developer. Smaller tasks help the less experienced gain confidence and experience, which, in turn, leads to more contributions. Code is important, and so are all the other parts.
Besides contributing back to the community, participating in Contribution Day is a great opportunity for learning and casual professional networking.
Who is it for?
It is for everyone no matter their skills and experience. Everyone can be part of the process and everyone can contribute and make great things for the community.